Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Rich and broke at the same time :/

Well things are still going strong in the poker world for me. I didn't play yesterday, but stuck in a few hundred hands today 6-tabling again. I ran into one big hand today, my 97h vs J3h vs K8h all turning flushes, but still managed to finish off the day about $80 up and at 11bb/100.

I couldn't be happier right now playing full ring. While I realize I'm running fairly well, I still think I can beat 50nl by an even bigger margin than I already am. My 7.5BB/100 so far is very solid and I'm more than happy, but I've lost more stacks to bad calls/pushes, beats and coolers than I can count on my fingers and my toes :). In other words, I'm not only still getting my share of beats and coolers, but I'm also still making some bad plays that I think I can correct and I WILL correct.

As you know, I'm 8-tabling, and it's proving to have GREAT benefits for me.

For one, I get way more hands under my belt in a smaller amount of time so I can actually see the long-term effects of certain adjustments in my game sooner. ie I can see leaks better, I can see if calling raises with small pairs for set value is worth it, I can see if 3-betting light is worth the trouble, etc etc.

Another effect is of course the fact that my winrate is much better overall than it would be had I been single tabling or even 2 tabling. Right now I'm running at ~6.5BB/100 through both 25nl and 50nl per table, but am running at a much nicer 28BB/100 if I'm reading my PT database properly. Anyways, the fact is that I make a lot more as I have more tables open. I didn't used to be able to handle 8 tables or even 6, but now I'm actually looking to possibly buy a new monitor for even more tables. That actually brings me to my next point - FPPs. I'm earning them at a much faster rate, and once I reach goldstar this month (only 464 FPPs left :) I'll be earning them even faster. I'm not completely sure what I'm eyeing with the FPPs I'm earning, but like I said, a new monitor would be nice...

Multitabling also has some positive psychological effects on me. For one, I end up being a lot more distracted with more tables open, and that forces me to play a tighter game - ie the most profitable style for 50nl. Another thing is that since I'm seeing 6 or 8 times as many hands in the same amount of time as I would be 1-tabling, I'm actually seeing sets and big pairs a lot more often which is a nice way to deal with tilt. If I lose a stack to AA vs KK all in preflop, I'm never that far away from stacking someone with a set :)

Anyways, I'm kind of ranting and bragging a bit, but I'm just so happy right now with my poker progress that I had to share. Oh, and another thing that's nice about seeing so many hands is that I actually run into tough hands frequently enough to keep the cardschat HA forums pretty busy. Lately we've been getting some very good discussions going on and I'm loving it.

On a side note, my family's completely broke right now and we might even have to sell our house for the near-zero value it's worth. Hooray. All's good though. Times are stressful but we'll get through it; my step father got a new job so that should help some, but we'll see how it all works out. It's so bad right now that we've all agreed that we won't be exchanging gifts this christmas which will kind of kill the spirit, but we're going to have a big drunk-fest with monopoly, poker and scrabble instead. Should be fun :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the $ problems T, but it looks like you've got a healthy attitude and from what I know about you I'm sure you'll come out on top somehow.

As for the poker, I'm finding your blogs very inspirational. This is the first time I've commented, but I've read most of them. You're in good company with tenbob, F Paulson and Michael Craig as my other blog must reads.

Keep the HH's coming, they're doing wonders for my game and CC as a whole.

Merry Christmas

-Roy AKA FD

ChuckTs said...

Thanks a lot Roy!

If it weren't for you, Liam and others dropping by here to actually comment on the blog, I'd probably have stopped writing by now :)