Monday, January 21, 2008

Swinger baby!

I'm not %100 sure why, but 100nl seems to be a lot more swingy for me than 25nl and 50nl were. One thing I'm sure of is that I'm playing slightly looser and a lot more aggressive, and although I've taken more beats for 200BB+ pots this week than I seem to recall ever getting at 50nl or 25nl combined, I'm still losing some buyins to unnecessarily aggressive play that I need to tone down.

One big hand comes to mind - I called an EP raise with position holding AQo, and decided to make my first big bluff at 100nl if I didn't improve and if the board was scary enough for my opponent. I ended up double barreling a 4-straight board after calling the flop bet, and my opponent looked me up with AA. While he made a bad call with his overpair (considering the board and betting line), he still managed to snap my bluff off and I realized I really don't need to make these bluffs. Those are the types of guys I have to target when I actually do flop a set or outdraw him with a straight.

Anyways, overall 100nl is going fine, but my biggest problem so far is the swings. It's only really been 3k hands so far though, so I can't jump to any conclusions yet. I do know that I'm now very comfortable with the stakes though :)

On a side note, as I mentioned I've been playing a little less than I normally do lately, and have been studying and reading more. I was fooling around with pokergrapher the other day and found a really nice graph that put a smile to my face - winnings per date:



Judging by this graph, I've actually only managed to have three real losing days so far. Even though that doesn't really mean dick in terms of winnings, it does mean something in terms of my mindset. For one, I always feel like I'm winning since I end the day up almost all the time (ie even when I have the occasional downswing), and another thing is that I'm probably going to feel a lot worse after having losing days in the future. Anyways just a fun stat there, had to brag a little ;)

On a side note, although I'm in the process of registering for another college course, my registration is becoming a real pain and I might not get it done in time. If I don't - which would be unfortunate - I've decided I'm going traveling. I'll probably stick around during the summer, possibly picking up a small part-time job (maybe landscaping again), but come fall I might just take off to another country. Not sure exactly where yet, but I'm thinking about it. I want to make sure I go traveling before I get stuck in a multi-year college course, and soon after find myself in a job placement I can't really take a break from.

Anyways, total progress has been updated on the right there, and here's your video of the day:

1 comment:

Zach said...

And I bet the 2500 in under 2 months isn't hurting you too much either, especially when you say you aren't playing much. Keep it up :)